Maggie's Chronicle

A journal of our day to day life. Updates and anecdotes of Maggie.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

So, Matt told me when I got home from work the other night that Maggie stood up, took four steps over to the beautiful new picture mat that Rebecca and Nathaniel sent over for her and sat back down again right in front of it. Amazing. Even I have gotten the oppurtunity to see her take little steps here and there. She is growing up so fast.

Tonight Matt took Maggie to see his sister's family while I worked late. They went far away without me :( I would have loved to go, it sounds like they had a lot of fun, and good food! I missed her terribly when I came home and they weren't here. It was nice to have a little time to myself though. It's a hard balance.

We really have to work on getting the house childproofed and keeping it that way. I hate having to take things away from her all the time. It is so much easier to just let her explore, pick things up, examine things, play. It seems like there is so little time. Matt and I need to just accept that we can't take time to relax I guess. Hmmm... but "they" do say that you need to take time for yourself. How does anything get done? Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

  • At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Most experts suggest baby-proofing before the baby arrives, so that you can take time for yourself after. Unfortunately, it seems a little late for that. I recommend taking one day to do it all. Make a list beforehand of everything that needs to be done so that when you go to do it, you're sure not to leave anything out. Good luck!

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Faye-Merrill said…

    Or in the ancient times when I was born-1948 -we didn't even know about the word babyproof. Ask anyone my age. You just stuck the baby in a playpen, out of harms way. The babies definitely didn't like it nearly as much as their freedom, but their moms liked this method just fine. Short periods only, but it helped.

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Being the most ancient yet, I'll add profound thoughts: fake it! When she goes for something she shouldn't, put it out of reach or away. You can never anticipate everything, she is constantly reaching new heights (literally), and after a while her interest shifts. Certain children who wouldn't stay away from electrical outlets a few months ago don't pay any attention now, etc. Fortunately, Katherine has already done all the c/ping upstairs! I go on the theory that if you couldn't bear losing or replacing something, put it away.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Miriam said…

    Childproofing is fairly easy, it's keeping it that way that's hard. After our move there are boxes everywhere and we haven't had time to figure out where everything goes. That is the main thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home