Maggie's Chronicle

A journal of our day to day life. Updates and anecdotes of Maggie.

Monday, June 19, 2006

I have made attempts to capture what it is like for me to look at Maggie as or after I feed her. That closeness can't be captured with a camera. Tonight as I lay with Maggie for her last feeding of the night I realized why. It is not all about sight; it is also about touch and sound. Feeling the warmth of her next to me, her hand resting gently on me, the slight pressure of her against me and knowing of the trust that she has in me that she proves by her steady breathing and the occasional snore as she continues to eat. The dependance for comfort is also shown when I try to separate from her and she reaches for me in her sleep. Phantom nursing that all babies do in their sleep shows the contentment that they get from what you can provide for them. The ability to be able to feed my child from myself and achieving that closeness with her, having moments of pure sense, without pesky knowledge getting in the way. We knew how to do this before books, before schools, this is wisdom passed from generation to generation. We would probably even know how to feed our children if we were never taught. Instinct is strong after the birth of a child. I am so lucky to be able to stay home and continue to breast feed. Maggie is amazing and I wish that I could share how much this means to me. This attempt just doesn't feel close to enough, and yet it still brings me to tears..

1 Comments:

  • At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful! Thanks for sharing, what an insight for those of us who haven't had children yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home