Maggie's Chronicle

A journal of our day to day life. Updates and anecdotes of Maggie.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Every once in a long while Maggie sleeps and sleeps. She feel asleep at 10pm last night and I finally decided to take her out of her crib at 7am this morning. One other time she slept for 9 hours straight before I decided to wake her up to feed her. Maybe she's old enough now that I should let her sleep, but I really want to move her up to an earlier bedtime.
Mornings are a special time. I probably shouldn't bring her into bed with me, but it is so nice to lie there with her and lazily start the day. Sometimes she sleeps and I just stare at her. The picture above and to the left I took lying next to her in bed. That was the first picture I took when I decided to do a "day in the life" that I was going to start this blog with. Unfortunately, I left my camera at my friend Faye's house and didn't get to finish out the day.
Babies can fall asleep anytime, anywhere. I used to feed Maggie on the couch, but I don't anymore since she's wiggly and could easily fall off of the side. Matt took this lovely picture of us one day when we had fallen asleep together. This next picture is from when the two of us fell asleep at Faye's house. (I'm wearing a blue shirt.) Faye had to get out her camera and take a picture of us curled up together on her chair. I find it incredible that I can fall asleep sitting up and not drop her. This came in very handy during the first few weeks when I had not yet mastered the art of feeding in the sidelying position and I would feed her sitting in a recliner outside of our room. I would fall asleep while feeding her or even while burping her and stay asleep for an hour or more. I was always amazed that I was in exactly the same position when I woke up then when I had fallen asleep. Parents must have a built in mechanism that keeps them from dropping their babies.
When we go on long car rides we try to have Maggie fall asleep beforehand, otherwise she is very unhappy with us for making her sit in the carseat. We can sometimes placate her if we sit back there with her, but usually when she's not sleeping she's screaming. It has gotten a little better, but it's still hard. Our trip to New Jersey this weekend should prove interesting. We are leaving around 5 in the morning so that she will sleep for at least the first part of the trip.
By the end of trips, sometimes she wakes up as soon as we pick her up, but sometimes she stays asleep for awhile, recently we went to visit Matt's parents up in Freedom and her she greeted them asleep. We set her up on their couch so that she could sleep comfortably.









One thing that I have discovered, which is hard to see in this picture since my black pants blend in with the background is that it is quite comfortable, at least for a little while to lay a sleeping baby in the crook of my knee with that leg propped up on the other one. As long as she isn't wiggling that holds her in place pretty well. Even when not sleeping that was comfortable in the time when she didn't move around a lot. And, it isn't as comfortable for so long since she is heavier.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Faye-Merrill said…

    Maggie is an amazing bundle of laughter and her mamas' descriptions of her life and times are just as I have seen. But what has been left out are the weeks that Miriam and Maggie - let's see, Maggie was 2 months old, that they spent babysitting for me! First for two weeks in the hospital, they came almost every afternoon and stayed for a couple of hours. They slept sometimes on the empty bed next to mine. The staff did everything they could to keep my little private nursing staff off, including a sign, which I threw right in the trash. Later they came to our house, and it was much more comfortable for us all. Faye

     

Post a Comment

<< Home